• Happy President's Day Sale - All Presidential Dollars are 15% off - no code required! (Discount applied in cart)

Navigate to the undefined homepage

MOCK_ALT_TEXT
Home > Blog > The Story of the American Eagle Gold Coin

The Story of the American Eagle Gold Coin

The American Eagle Gold Coin holds a significant place in the hearts of collectors and investors around the world. As one of the most popular gold coins ever produced, it has a rich history that dates back several decades. US State Quarters is proud to offer a variety of gold coins for sale online, including American Eagle Gold Coins such as the 2023 1 Oz American Gold Eagle and the 1 Oz American Gold Eagle. Discover the story of this extraordinary gold coin for sale, and order today!

The Beginning

The story of the American Eagle Gold Coin begins in 1986 when it was first minted by the United States Mint. The coin was introduced as part of the American Eagle Bullion Program, which aimed to offer a secure investment option for individuals interested in owning precious metal coins.

The Stats

Measuring 1.287 inches in diameter and weighing 1 ounce, the American Eagle Gold Coin is made of 91.67% gold, with the remaining 8.33% consisting of copper and silver alloy. It is the official gold bullion coin of the United States and carries a face value of $50, although its actual value is much higher due to the gold content.

The Design

The design of the American Eagle Gold Coin is inspired by the older $20 Double Eagle gold coin, which was in circulation from 1850 to 1907. The obverse side of the coin features a depiction of Lady Liberty holding a torch and an olive branch, symbolizing freedom and peace. This iconic image was created by Augustus Saint-Gaudens, one of America's most renowned sculptors and was first used on the Double Eagle coin. The reverse side of the American Eagle Gold Coin displays a family of eagles, with a male eagle carrying an olive branch to its nest where a female eagle and hatchlings await. The design is a tribute to the importance of family and the preservation of life.

One of the most unique aspects of the American Eagle Gold Coin is its reeded edge, which contains 50 raised parallel lines. This feature not only adds aesthetic appeal but also serves as an anti-counterfeiting measure. The US Mint takes great pride in ensuring the authenticity and quality of each coin produced.

Why Collect the American Eagle Gold Coin?

Tangible Investment

Collectors and investors are drawn to the American Eagle Gold Coin for several reasons. Firstly, it offers a tangible and portable form of investment. Unlike paper currencies or stocks, physical gold coins like the American Eagle can be held, admired, and traded in the global market. The weight and purity of each gold coin are guaranteed by the United States Mint, providing investors with confidence in the product's authenticity.

Safe Haven

Secondly, gold has historically been considered a safe haven investment during times of economic uncertainty. Its value often rises when fiat currencies lose purchasing power, making this gold coin for sale an attractive option for individuals seeking to protect their wealth. The American Eagle Gold Coin offers a reliable way to invest in gold and diversify one's portfolio.

The Design

In addition to its investment appeal, many collectors are fascinated by the intricate design and symbolism of the American Eagle Gold Coin. Each year, the US Mint releases new editions of the coin with updated designs, making this gold bullion coin an exciting collectible item for numismatists. Gold coin collectors can pursue a complete set of American Eagle Gold Coins, which includes coins minted from 1986 to the present day. This provides a sense of accomplishment and pride for those who appreciate the artistry and history represented by each American Eagle gold coin.

ADD TO YOUR COIN COLLECTION TODAY

The American Eagle Gold Coin is not only a treasured collectible but also a smart investment choice. Produced by the US Mint and offered by US State Quarters, this gold bullion coin represents American heritage, provides a safe haven for investors, and offers a unique opportunity to own a piece of history. With its iconic design, high gold content, and quality craftsmanship, the American Eagle Gold Coin continues to capture the imagination of coin collectors and investors worldwide.

If you are looking for the best gold bullion coins for sale, shop with us. Our selection of valuable gold dollar coins is amazing. You'll love the authenticity and security we offer those who choose us for their gold coin purchases. To shop for the American Eagle Gold Coin, including 2023 1 Oz American Gold Eagle and the 1 Oz American Gold Eagle, shop with us today!
Coins Online, LLC BBB Business Review