The silver Mercury Dime was minted from 1916 - 1945 and is also referred to as the "Winged Liberty Head Dime". These coins were designed by Adolph Weinman. The obverse of the coin features a young liberty, identifiable by her winged Phrygian cap. The reverse of the coin depicts a fasces, symbolizing unity and strength, and an olive branch signifying peace. The Mercury Dime was minted at the Philadelphia, Denver and San Francisco mints. Each coin contains .07234 troy ounces of silver.
Why buy Mercury Dimes from us? You'll get the grade you ordered. Our coins are graded using Photograde standards: Almost Good coins will be heavily worn with weak dates and rims, Good condition coins will have a full date and almost full rims, Very Good coins will have full rims and approx. half the fasces lines visible, coins in Fine condition will have all the fasces lines visible under a magnifier, Very Fine coin will have bold rims and dates and all fasces lines noticeable and Extra Fine coins will all nearly all feathers visible. Low Prices: Most coin dealers have to advertise online which costs thousands of dollars a month resulting in higher prices. We don't advertise. We have been in business for over twenty years and were one of the first coin dealers online, thus we have a strong online presence with no need to spend money on advertising, allowing us to offer lower prices for the same coins.
Designed by Adolph A. Weinman and struck by the United States Mint from 1916 - 1945, silver Mercury Dimes are highly sought after amongst serious coin collectors. With its 90% silver and 10% copper composition, the Mercury Dime can be worth a small fortune. Mercury dimes, also known for several key dates, often fetch hundreds and even thousands of dollars. Our large selection of Mercury Dimes for sale will appease collectors in search of a quality piece that clearly depicts the mythological goddess Liberty with her Phrygian cap. Silver Mercury dimes from U.S.S.Q. are graded using strict Photograde standards.
Grading Mercury Dimes
AG3 Almost Good
- Heavily worn, weak date and rims.
- Slight detail to wing. Must have full date. Rims may slightly touch lettering, fasces have little or no detail.
VG7 Very Good
- Full date and rims. Some feathering on wing. Approx. half of fasces lines visible.
- Approx. half of feathering on wing noticeable. All vertical lines are noticeable with magnifying glass.
VF20 Very Fine
- Most of feathering noticeable. Bold rims and date. Full vertical lines noticeable.
EF40 Extremely Fine
- Nearly all feathers visible. Vertical lines and continuous and some diagonal lines raised.
AU50 Almost Uncirculated
- Slight wear to high point of wing. Full vertical and horizontal lines, with only slight wear on diagonal lines. Some mint luster visible.